Resources relating to the catch and harvest of WCPO tuna
You can find news stories, popular articles, opinion pieces and blog posts on the catch and harvest of tuna in the WCPO on the Catch and harvest news and views page.
- Manual on anchored fish aggregating devices (FADs): An update on FAD gear technology, designs and deployment methods for the Pacific Island region, Pacific Community, February 2020. This manual builds on technical information in a 2005 edition, Manual on fish-aggregating devices: Lower-cost moorings and programme management.
- Fishing for tuna in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean: purse seine and longline fishing, FFA, May 2019
- Catch documentation scheme, WWF. Monitoring the catch is important to ensure compliance with management measures.
- The ideal purse-seine vessel: a guide to demonstrating best practices and meeting ISSF conservation measures, International Seafood Sustainability Foundation, 2015
- Harvest strategies: the next phase of fisheries management (PDF), Pew Charitable Trusts, June 2015
- Handling seafood in the Pacific Islands: information sheets for fishers, vendors and consumers (PDF), Pacific Community and WorldFish
- Ensuring the sustainability of Pacific tuna: Palau & FSM arrangements, WWF Pacific, 2011. Another version of this fact sheet contains slightly more information.
- Report on analyses of the 20162020 PNA FAD tracking programme, report of the WCPFC Scientific Committee by Lauriane Escalle, Berry Muller, Steven Hare, Paul Hamer, Graham Pilling and the PNA Office, WCPFC-SC16-2020/MI-IP-14
- A snapshot of the large-scale tropical tuna purse-seine fishing fleets as of June 2020, ISSF
- RFMO vessel monitoring schemes: a comparative analysis to identify best practices, ISSF, 2020
- Environmental versus operational drivers of drifting FAD beaching in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean, by Lauriane Escalle and others, Scientific Reports, 2019
- Regional connectivity and spatial densities of drifting fish aggregating devices, simulated from fishing events in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean, by Joe Scutt Phillips and others, Environmental Research Communications, 2019
- The Western and Central Pacific Tuna Fishery: 2018 overview and status of stocks (PDF), latest report (number 19), Pacific Community (SPC). Older reports can also be downloaded.
- Stabilising cooperation through pragmatic tolerance: the case of the Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) tuna fishery, in Regional Environmental Change, volume 18, 2017
- The Parties to the Nauru Agreements Vessel Day Scheme: Accounting for the rare success of an international agreement, Lauren D. Bernadette, in Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2014
- Making the Vessel Day Scheme work, United Nations University, 2007
Posters and videos
- Pacifical: The people of Pacifical & their tuna, video (4.21 mins). Pacifical is tuna marketed by PNA countries.
- An introduction to purse seine fishing in the central and western Pacific Ocean, video (19.27 mins), SPC, September 2012
- Purse seine fishing: different methods, video (3.16 mins), International Seafood Sustainability Foundation, July 2012
FFAs Hugh Walton talks about the importance of tuna to SIDS and effective management for sustainability at an OFMP2 project forum (2.17 mins).
PITIAs John Maefiti talks about the domestic tuna industry and regional overcapacity at an OFMP2 project forum (1.09 mins).
PNA members market tuna under the brand Pacifical. In this video, they introduce the company and its people (4.21 mins).